CLIENT CARE CHARTER
SWAN LEGAL Ltd.
CLIENT CARE CHARTER
I established Swan Legal in 2005 when I returned to sole practice. My practice provides a range of specialist services as well as general legal services to my private and commercial client base.
My specialist areas of activity includes advice to Advertisers and Agencies working in the communications industry in all forms of media particularly in compliance issues and complaint resolution.
I am also engaged with Clients active in the Aged Care sector in the acquisition of Retirement Care facilities including retirement villages and in issues affecting the continued operation of these facilities.
I act for small businesses in the range of legal challenges that they confront and continue my long association with private clients, their investment vehicles, their Wills, and Family Trusts and related consequential matters such as Estate Administration.
Client Care and Service
I am committed to doing my best to ensure that your legal needs are met and will:
- Act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made.
- Protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties.
- Discuss with you your objectives and how they should best be achieved.
- Provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the services will be provided.
- Charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable and let you know how and when you will be billed.
- Give you clear information and advice.
- Protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality.
- Treat you fairly, respectfully and without discrimination.
- Keep you informed about the work being done and advise you when it is completed.
- Let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
The basis on which my fees will be charged to you will be set out in my letter of engagement forwarded to you each time you engage my services. The time for payment of those fees will also be set out in that letter.
I may deduct from any funds held on your behalf in my trust account any fees expenses or disbursements for which I have provided an invoice once that invoice has been sent to you.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
I hold current professional indemnity insurance which meets the minimum standards from time to time specified by the New Zealand Law Society providing cover when acting as your lawyer.
The Lawyers Fidelity Fund
The New Zealand Law Society maintains the Lawyers Fidelity Fund to provide compensation to clients of lawyers with protection against pecuniary loss arising from theft by lawyers. The maximum amount payable by the Fidelity Fund by way of compensation to an individual claimant is limited to $100,000.00.
If you have any complaint about my service, you may raise it with me.
Alternatively, you may contact the New Zealand Law Society directly on 0800 261 801
Responsibility for your work
I will be responsible for the services I provide to you.
The obligations lawyers owe to clients are described in the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers. Those obligations are subject to other overriding duties, including duties to the courts and to the justice system.
If you have any questions, please contact me or visit www.lawyers.org.nz.
Limitations on extent of my obligations or liability
Any limitations on the extent of our obligations to you or any limitation or exclusion of liability will be set out in my letter of engagement.
Swan Legal Ltd.
1st August 2016